FactPile "Light" version
FactPile YouTube Channel | FactPile PodCast

Primarchs [Discussion]

Many are called, but only few are chosen.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Primarchs [Discussion]

Postby Fisherking » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:29 pm

Spoiler
The infant Sanguinius was a prodigy - he grew quickly and learned everything his parents could teach him. After three weeks Sanguinius was as large as a child of three years. It is said that at this age he slew a faint fire scorpion with no weapon other than his bare hands, and that he never once showed fear at the colossal beast's onset. As Sanguinius grew his wings grew also, changing from tiny vestigial things into mighty pinions that could bear him alot upon the desert air. By the game he was a year old, he looked and acted like a man in his youthful prime. He could walk without a rad-suit in the most poisonous of Ball Secundus' deserts, and could shatter massive boulders with a single blow of his outstretched hand. In the use of all weapons he soon excelled his teachers." - Blood angles 5th edition codex pg. 10
Fisherking
FactPiler

Postby The_Assassin711 » Sun May 29, 2011 10:48 pm

I haven't really been contributing all that much lately to the respect threads so I figured while I was still in the mood to find quotes while making my response to Soulerous I would throw this quote up here since it's been nagging me to do so for months since I read it:

Intelligence of a primarch based on Lion El'Jonson:

"Nemiel focused his attention on the tactical plot and tried to put his foreboding aside. 'The rebels have us outnumbered, my lord,' he
pointed out.
Jonson gave Nemiel a sidelong look. 'I can perform hyperspatial calculations in my head, brother,' he said wryly 'I think I can manage to
count to thirty unaided.' " Fallen Angels pg. 66, Chapter 3 (thought I'd start including chapters in my quotes from now on too, sometimes the books have different page numbers based on omnibuses or re-printings and such, it just helps to give a general location if the specific is wrong in some cases.)

Not that i have any clue as to what a hyperspatial calculation is, I scroogled it and didn't really understand much....
From the depths of the darkest realm of reality
10,000 voices Rose in unison
and three words resonated to the heavens,
inspiring Terror in the denizens of Heaven and Hell:
Ave Dominus Nox!
The_Assassin711
FactPiler

Postby Fisherking » Mon May 30, 2011 7:03 am

The_Assassin711 wrote:Not that i have any clue as to what a hyperspatial calculation is, I scroogled it and didn't really understand much....

I would assume that's some fictional, really advanced branch of mathematics.
Fisherking
FactPiler

Postby Matapiojo » Tue May 31, 2011 6:54 am

It may well be some form of embelished language used for simple astro-physics mathematics, but I like the idea that it may also suggest that 40k is hyperspace-aware at the very least. There is little support to substantiate the later, though.
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Fisherking » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:03 am

I was even surprised by how unbelievably powerful a primarch was in battle of the fang.

Spoiler
"Magnus had come. The daemon-primarch was at the foot of the stairway, attracting tracer fire in glowing, angry lines. The ordnance seemed to explode before it hit him, blooming in starbursts of angry red and orange around his massive frame. The Long Fangs and heavy weapons squads had unloaded all they had at him, pouring streams of flame at the monster's head and chest.
It had no discernible effect. Magnus was a giant, a five-metre-tall behemoth striding through the clouds of promethium like a man pushing through fields of corn. He was radiant, as splendid as bronze, dazzling amid the shadows of the mountain. Nothing hurt him. Nothing came close to hurting him. He had been created for another age, an age when gods walked among men. I the colder, weaker universe of the thirty-second millennium he was unmatched, a walking splinter of the Allfather's will set amid a fragile world of mortal flesh and blood.
As Wyrmblade watched, gripped by a vice of horror, the kill-machine got to work. There were no battle cries, no shouts of rage. The daemon-primarch had retained his phlegmatic humors of old, and cut threads with a chilling equanimity. Wyrmblade saw his Wolves charge up to the shimmering titan, as immune to fear as ever, hurling their bodies into the path of the monster. They were brushed aside, thrown bodily into the stone where their backs were broken.
Still, Magnus strode forwards, reaching the bottom level of the stairway. The barricades there had held for days, resisting every attempt to breach them. Box-guns spat at the primarch, surrounding him in a curtain of flickering, sparkling impacts. One by one, he tore them down, ripping them up by their roots and dashing them across the trenches.
Magnus came on. Lauf Cloudbreaker stood in his path, arms raised in defiance. The Rune Priest began the summoning, whipping up the storm-wyrd, contesting the advance of the daemon with all the art he possessed. The primarch clenched his first and Cloudbreaker simply exploded, lost in a ball of blood, his totems scattered amid the fragments of his shattered runic armour. Kaerls scrambled to evacuate the trenches then, all thoughts of resistance quashed by the immense force striding toward them. Magnus came on. More Wolves charged to meet him, still undaunted by the destruction wreaked around them. Wyrmblade saw Rossek, the grim-faced Wolf Guard, lumber into contact, his Terminator plate streaming with golden flames. Grey Hunters win in alongside, howling with rage. For a moment, the primarch was held, rocked by the sudden assault of so many blades, each of them wielded with passion and courage. Rossek even managed to land a blow, causing Magnus to pause in his rampage.
A single blow. A lone strike with his chainfist, followed up by a hail of storm-bolter rounds. That was all he managed before Magnus's firsts caught him, hurling him back into the ground, pummeling him into shrapnel and crushing him into a slick of gore beneath his ironshod feet. Rossek was gone, taken down in seconds, his proud life snuffed out with the casual descent of a primarch's boot. The Wolves with him were ripped apart soon after. More fixed guns unloaded their ammunition at the primarch. All were destroyed, torn from their mounts and tossed aside like chaff.
Magnus came on. The Fangthane's six Dreadnoughts waited for him halfway up the stairway, resolute and unmoving. They opened fire as one, launching missiles and plasma bolts in a blistering, crushing flurry of destructive energy. In a few seconds they unleashed enough firepower to level a whole company of Traitor Marines, chewing through heavy bolter ammo-belts and exhausting energy packs. Magnus emerged from inferno intact, his armour trailing gouts of smoke and flame. As he towered over them, the dreadnoughts closed up, gunning their massive power fists and lighting claws into life and bracing for impact. Magnus seized the nearest Dreadnought in one hand and lifted it from the ground. The huge sarcophagus swayed up above the rolling torment of fire, its close-combat weapon flexing impotently, its heavy bolter thudding shell after shell into the impervious hide of the primarch.
Magnus drew his arm back and hurled the Dreadnought against the walls of the stairway. The Revered Fallen hit the surface at speed, shattering the stone and driving a huge rent in the rock. Magnus loomed over the stricken war machine and clenched his fist again. The Dreadnought's armour cracked open, shearing down the middle with a resounding clap of thunder, revealing the seething amniotic chamber within. The ruined scrap of flesh and sinew inside the tank withered for a moment, still possessed by some primordial urge to survive, before Magnus smashed the plexiglass and dragged it out. Wit a flex of his mighty fist, the remnants of the Dreadnought's body were squeezed into a slurry of blood and wasted muscle. Then Magnus turned on the rest." Battle of the Fang pg. 445-448

Spoiler
"The few surviving Wolves clustered around him at the summit of the stairway. No more than a dozen had escaped the onslaught of the primarch. There were Kaerls streaming to join them from the stairway, a couple of hundred perhaps. Below them, the Dreadnoughts fought on, dying one by one under the terrible attentions of Magnus, holding the line for just a few more moments before his relentless march resumed" Battle of the Fang pg.448
Fisherking
FactPiler

Postby Matapiojo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:24 am

Thats pretty brutal.
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Fisherking » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Matapiojo wrote:Thats pretty brutal.

Very brutal indeed. The feat is even more badass when
Spoiler
Magnus Kills the chapter master, the head wolf priest, a jarl and the oldest dreadnought one after the other.and Magnus doesn't even die at the end of the novel.

Aside from the annoying vocabulary, battle of the fang is extremely good and is now one of my favorite 40k novels.
Fisherking
FactPiler

Postby Jwlynas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:22 am

Love it. Slightly confused as to why Magnus, the Sorcerer Primarch, is striding in crushing things with his hands, but still damned impressive.
Jwlynas
Zombie Eater

Postby Matapiojo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:54 am

The answer is pretty simple, my good Lynas. Cause he can. ...evidently.

He knows they know his is a mighty sorcerer, but they don't know he is a combat powerhouse as well. He just made that utterly clear to them. Angron may be the one-trick-pony of the bunch, but The Red is an outright god amongst men - even the genetically engineered ones.
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Fisherking » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Jwlynas wrote:Love it. Slightly confused as to why Magnus, the Sorcerer Primarch, is striding in crushing things with his hands, but still damned impressive.

Yeah there weren't very many occurrances of any thousand sons sorcerer using psychic powers offensively. It was kind of a let down when I was hoping to see some Sorcerer cast a spell that turned people inside out or other awesome feats of psychic powers.
Fisherking
FactPiler

PreviousNext

Return to FactPile Respect