FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Samus' physical attribute calc's invalid?

Many are called, but only few are chosen.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Samus' physical attribute calc's invalid?

Postby Darkbladex96 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Samus is a widely used and widely respected Power Armor character in Vs debates, However; ive found a piece of her info pertaining to her feats to be quite confusing.

Samus' most impressive feats are without her armor and involve Zebes alleged gravity being 4.8 trillion teratonnes. Which samus could walk around on comfortable before augmentation, why she was going to die was never stated.

Earth weight in teratonnes for reference 5,973,600,000 or 5.9736 x 10 ^9 teratons

Samus a normal human girl, was born on K-2L a planet with a mass of 3.8 Trillion teratonnes..........i kid you not. This planet should have hundreds or thousands of times earth gravity. Yet humans survive here unhindered and comfortably.

http://metroidguide.com/html/planets/k2l.htm

Humans in Metroid do in fact come from Earth. K-2L is the first terran colony, so humans went straight from earth to K-2L with no augmentation?

Basically im only seeing two real answers, every human in metroid is far beyond superhuman or those numbers are just a development team ignoring physics.

So if anyone can explain whats going on with physics in metroid id appreciate it. I guess they just ignore the mass/gravity relationship.
Darkbladex96
Check My Brain

Re: Samus' physical attribute calc's invalid?

Postby Jwlynas » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Darkbladex96 wrote:Basically im only seeing two real answers, every human in metroid is far beyond superhuman or those numbers are just a development team ignoring physics.

The real answer is, sadly, both. The development team have no idea how physics works and just throw large numbers around. However, that is still her canon ability, mistakes be damned.
Jwlynas
Zombie Eater

Postby Asger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:03 am

Somewhere, Commander Shepard is groaning in annoyance.

Unless she repeatedly walks around on places in excess of x1000 normal gravity, it's an outlier.
loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding x guilt x shame x failure x judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=dark side
Asger
Organ Grinder

Postby Darkbladex96 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Im thinking that they are ignoring physics and giving planets earth like gravity regardless of mass.

No G's for the planets have been officially stated, humans went straight from earth to a planet that "should" have thousands of times earth gravity with no special counter measures.

Zebes isnt multiple times the mass of K-2L and appears to have the exact same gravity, her feats on Zebes arent very impressive, In that context.

Also if we use real physics for this then every human in Metroid is a superhuman with strength along the lines of Hulk, Colossus, and juggernaut under earth conditions. Earth has never been shown so that would be a very outlandish conclusion.

Unless she repeatedly walks around on places in excess of x1000 normal gravity, it's an outlier.

All the planets in the metroid verse are that massive......except earth
Darkbladex96
Check My Brain

Postby Darkbladex96 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:01 pm

Jwlynas wrote:
Darkbladex96 wrote:Basically im only seeing two real answers, every human in metroid is far beyond superhuman or those numbers are just a development team ignoring physics.

The real answer is, sadly, both. The development team have no idea how physics works and just throw large numbers around. However, that is still her canon ability, mistakes be damned.

thats the problem mistakes in the physics of the canon automatically invalidate the calc's and conclusions. The calcs were made assuming the the metroid team gave a damn about physics.....humans being on K-2L unassisted with no explanation of how they can survive is a hole that cant be ignored.
Darkbladex96
Check My Brain

Postby EnigmaJ » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:47 pm

The calcs were made assuming the the metroid team gave a damn about physics.....humans being on K-2L unassisted with no explanation of how they can survive is a hole that cant be ignored.

I get what you're saying, but we should be able to assume normally that the physics of these fictional universe match ours. Otherwise, there's no point in comparing them, because we'd have no set laws governing how everything should work. The question here is if the evidence from the rest of the series is enough for us to make the conclusion that the "mass/gravity" relationship doesn't apply strictly in this instance. Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge of the series to do so.

Here's food for thought though. To jump even half a meter into the air under that much gravity, Samus would need to have an initial velocity of around 90 meters per second, and Samus should fall back down at around the same speed. It should literally only take Samus 0.01 seconds to jump up and fall back down. That fact that we can see her while she does so implies one of two things:

1.) The gameplay on those planets is actually happening in slow motion, to the point that everything that you see is actually moving tens of times faster than what you actually see on the screen.
or.
2.) The gravity on those planets aren't as high as they should be.

One manga scene also has her jumping 5 meters onto a rock without her power armor on, which would require her to have an initial velocity over 280 m/s if the gravity was that strong... meaning she would be capable of moving at near sonic speeds without her suit...

But then again, I've seen manga instances of her moving faster than the eye can track... but still... hmm... it probably depends on how you look at it.
EnigmaJ
Check My Brain

Postby Dryn » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:46 pm

I've been saying this all along. It's good to know I'm not the only one who sees this problem. Not to mention, as I stated before at FactPile, Earth is 5.9 billion teratons. It is likely Zebes was meant to be 4.8 billion teratons, meaning that it would be 20% smaller than Earth. Nothing else outside of assuming that all areas are of equal gravity supports the 4.8 trillion teraton.
Dryn
Plebe

Postby OriginalA » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:01 pm

1) Gravity on K2-L is unknowable without a size number. Saturn is nearly 100 times more massive than earth, yet it has near Earth-like gravity. Sufficient size would create Earth-like gravity conditions.

2) Source link in the first post is broken, but if it leads to what I think it does then it leads to a non-canon fanon site that is considerably worse at getting accurate information, consistently makes shit up, and is generally less desirable as a source than any wiki page you could ever think of.

3) I've yet to hear of a mass statement for K2-L from a reliable source. Please provide a source.

4) I've yet to hear of a settlement statement for K2-L beyond "it was an Earth colony that mined fuel" from a reliable source. Please provide a source.

Because of points 2, 3, and 4, I don't see how K2-L is of any importance for anything other than backstory and a survival feat for Ridley.
OriginalA
I Am the Highway

Postby Commander Cross » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Asger wrote:Somewhere, Commander Shepard is groaning in annoyance.

Paragon!-Shep or Renegade!-Shep, if i had to ask?

Samus is THAT Powerful? :shock:
http://dragcave.net/image/n765.gif

Please help save the dragon egg.

Reminds me of factpile in general!
Commander Cross
You Can't Fade Me

Postby krazycrismore » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Samus is shown to be affected by gravity in the same ways throughout the series. Despite the fact that the gravity in the different games fluctuates. Samus behaves the same way on the BSL, a space station, as she does on Zebes, a planet with 880X earth gravity. This shows that planets and space stations have some sort of gravity regulator on them that makes the gravity the same as earth gravity.
"One miracle, my lord. Delivered as requested. That should hold them back for a few hours. Long enough?"
-Androl Genhald
krazycrismore
J's Sammich Wench

Next

Return to FactPile Respect