FactPile "Light" version
FactPile YouTube Channel | FactPile PodCast

Fallout Universe

Many are called, but only few are chosen.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fallout Universe

Postby glitched_man » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:15 am

Yes I think almost everybody know the Fallout series, though there are little to no mentions of them in the main site. To date, we have Fallout 3, New Vegas, and some PnP. But for other stuffs that you may want: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page there you would see everything, if not more.

In this post I will mention a few main characters and places associated with them:

The Vault Dweller (name customizable): Born in Vault 13. Main character in the first Fallout game. (canon) He saved the west coast human population by defeating the Master, or Richard Grey (originally Moreau), the mutant army leader that spread darkness over the west coast. "Only by this Vault Dweller, was the evil destroyed" -Fallout 2 narator.

The Chosen One
(title, name customizable): Born in Arroyo, a village founded by the Vault Dweller. Main character in Fallout 2. (canon) He partially crippled the military ex-government organization known as 'The Enclave of USA'. By doing so, he temporarily removed a major threat against Americans. "Duty. Honor. Courage. Semper Fiiii (dies)" -The Boss of Fallout 2, Special Agent Frank Horrigan, before the Enclave main base was vaporized in an atomic explosion created by the Chosen One.

The Lone Wanderer: Born in the Capital Wasteland's Jefferson Memorial. Main character in Fallout 3. One of the characters not associated with the Vault Dweller. (canon) Through several plots ranging from minor traveling to exploring a large number of Vaults and to joining a military organization, he successfully drove back the Enclave to stone age. "Son, I brought you into this world, I think you know the rest." -James, Lone Wanderer's father.

The Courier: (birth place unknown). Main character in Fallout: New Vegas. (canon) He was one of the seven different people tasked on delivering mysterious packages all around the Mojave Wasteland. His package contained the Platinum Chip, a programming chip needed by Robert Edwin House to optimize his Securitron robot army. In the middle of his journey, he was ambushed by Benny, a man wanting the Platinum Chip for himself to use the Securitron army to his own ends. The Courier managed to get the chip back and eliminate Benny and his cronies, though in his journey he encountered several forces that wanted to control the Mojave, one of them were the Caesar's Legion. The Courier managed to cripple this legion, thereby granting the New California Republic freedom to put order in to Mojave. "You can go home, Courier" -Ulysses, a candidate to be the Courier, but he canceled it.
Last edited by glitched_man on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
glitched_man
I Am the Highway

Location: Wandering around with some secret purpose. World-changing purpose.

Re: Fallout Universe

Postby Matapiojo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:40 am

I don't know why I never picked up Fallout, but I think I will right after I'm done with Force Unleashed and God of War. Seems to be right up my alley.
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Siggymansz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:11 am

Matapiojo wrote:I don't know why I never picked up Fallout, but I think I will right after I'm done with Force Unleashed and God of War. Seems to be right up my alley.

I started with 2 then 1 then Tactics then 3 then NV... Its how I got the most enjoyment out of the series... course

you might want to do it a different
Spoiler
Siggymansz
Primarch

Postby Matapiojo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:24 am

Well I am probably just going to do 3 and NV since they are the PS3 ones. I am not really looking to get involved in the story per-se as I usually do. Just looking out to jump in on the many hours of messing around.
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Pandemic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:36 am

I love the 3rd Fallout but for some reason its the only one ive played, i think that im just afraid that the others werent as great. am i wrong for that?
The Pandemic has begun!!!!
Pandemic
Luminous Flesh Giant

Postby Jwlynas » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:52 am

Fallout 1 and 2 were fantastic, but they haven't aged well.
Jwlynas
Zombie Eater

Postby Pandemic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Jwlynas wrote:Fallout 1 and 2 were fantastic, but they haven't aged well.

what do you mean?
The Pandemic has begun!!!!
Pandemic
Luminous Flesh Giant

Postby Asger » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Legate Lanius recquires a profile right now. Caesar demands it.
loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding x guilt x shame x failure x judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=dark side
Asger
Organ Grinder

Postby Jwlynas » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:18 pm

Fantastic games for their time, but as with most aged games, other series have done what they did, and in many areas better. The New Fallout games, while having less charm, are far easier on the eyes (Brown on brown colour scheme included), a damn sight less complex, and a great deal more open.

The story is still good, the writing is sublime, but my god Fallout 1 and 2 are UGLY games. I'm no graphics-obsessed gamer, I still happily play warcraft, sonic, Baldurs Gate 2, the original Duke Nukem. Fallout is (I believe) older, and honestly follows the current trend of brown over grit but with 16 bit graphics.

Play them by all means and if you can find an HD adaption mod somewhere then grab it. Just prepare yourself
Jwlynas
Zombie Eater

Postby Siggymansz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:42 am

...Yes Fallout 1 is Fucking Ugly

would I recommend it over some nextgen games? Yes. Fuck Yes.

I would just like to point out that Fallout 1 was released at the end of 1997

Warcraft 1994
Sonic the Hedgehog 1991
Baulders Gate II 1998
Duke Nukem 1 ... 1990? 1991? (maybe even '92) *I always forget about the first 2 Duke Nukem games... they were overshadowed by 3D... not sure if thats a good thing)

*fun fact: Duke Nukem 3D 1996, making Fallout 1 the second youngest Game of those you listed as newer

** I'll be Happy with an Extended ASCII interface so long as everything else is Great (guess thats why I was a Fan of Fallout)

Edit: Using my 1337 Google-fu I found out that 3D was in 1991... and I also confirmed the dates I listed :D
Spoiler
Siggymansz
Primarch

Next

Return to FactPile Respect