FactPile "Light" version
FactPile YouTube Channel | FactPile PodCast

Necrons [Discussion]

Many are called, but only few are chosen.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Necron Technology [Discussion]

Postby Matapiojo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:19 am

Great quotes, but may I ask a few items for the sake of context?

Fisherking wrote:
Spoiler
“A flash of green light, and his words were swallowed by an involuntary scream. The Guardsman had disintegrated, like the servitor in the mine tunnel had been disintegrated, layer by layer in a fraction of a second.” – Dead Men Walking pg. 173

What weapon was responsible for this?

Spoiler
“The creatures didn’t move. Amareth glared at them for a moment longer, then lowered his shoulders, tried to push his way past them – and four of them raised their great guns in unison, and vaporised him in a cataclysmic outpouring of emerald force.” – Dead Men Walking pg. 274

I assume these were regular Warriors wielding Flayers?

Added the last one as they are clearly Wraiths.
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Re: Necrons [Discussion]

Postby Michael50210 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:44 am

God, I need to get that book.
Michael50210
You Can't Fade Me

Postby Fisherking » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Matapiojo wrote:Great quotes, but may I ask a few items for the sake of context?

Fisherking wrote:
Spoiler
“A flash of green light, and his words were swallowed by an involuntary scream. The Guardsman had disintegrated, like the servitor in the mine tunnel had been disintegrated, layer by layer in a fraction of a second.” – Dead Men Walking pg. 173

What weapon was responsible for this?

Spoiler
“The creatures didn’t move. Amareth glared at them for a moment longer, then lowered his shoulders, tried to push his way past them – and four of them raised their great guns in unison, and vaporised him in a cataclysmic outpouring of emerald force.” – Dead Men Walking pg. 274

I assume these were regular Warriors wielding Flayers?

Added the last one as they are clearly Wraiths.

The weapons responsible in both quotes came from two gauss weapons wielding by Necron warriors. There are alot of better quotes in the book, but I can't find them right now i'd have to basically go re-read it instead of just skimming through it ,but when I get the time I'll post more quotes. I the mean time here is a quote that I thought was pretty cool and should be posted.

Spoiler
"The Necron lord flung its skeletal hands skyward, and Gunthar saw that cradled in its left palm was a large, black orb. Something flashed green in the depths of that orb, and he could taste metal, feel the hairs on his neck standing to attention. His flesh was tingling, and the air felt pregnant as if a great storm was coming.
And the necrons were risng - in their scores, in their hundreds, even those that had lain dead and blasted apart for minutes, and those felled by melta fire. Necrons weren't supposed to recover form melta fire... were they?" - Dead Men Walking pg. 379

God, I need to get that book.

Yeah it's pretty good. A definite buy if I do say so myself.
Last edited by Fisherking on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fisherking
FactPiler

Postby Matapiojo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:56 am

Got it. Warriors with flayers. Added both to the right categories.

The Orb quote is a good one too.
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Locutus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:38 am

Fisherking wrote: There are alot of better quotes in the book, but I can't find them right now i'd have go basicsally re-read it intead of just skimming through it but when I get the time I'll post more quotes. I the mean time here is a quote that I thought was pretty cool and should be posted.

Yea I know what you mean. That can be a pain in the ass.
Now when I read a new novel I keep some little post-its nearby and mark the pages if I come across something useful. Extremely helpful.
Locutus
Check My Brain

Postby Matapiojo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:10 am

Yup. That is why I want to finally get to the 40K novels through my Nook. All I want is to make bookmarks of good usable quotes as I read through the books instead of tralling back for details I draw up from memory alone.
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Michael50210 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:44 am

I'm, waiting for them to be availible for Kindle, as I also wait for the Third Omnibus of Gotrek and Felix to be for Kindle.
Michael50210
You Can't Fade Me

Postby Locutus » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:17 am

Necron quotes from the newly released Fall of Damnos novel.

Self-Repairing

Spoiler
"The picter zoomed in, blurring the image at first but then focussing in on one of the metal skeletons. Its eyes blazed with a terrible fire, suggesting a crude sentience that chilled the lieutenant’s blood even removed, as he was, from the firefight and the moment.
Adanar saw the creature jerk spasmodically as it was struck by countless las-shots. It must have taken over ten well-placed bolts to down it. Chunks of metal flew off its carapace body, fused rib-plate and punctured presumably vital systems before it fell.
The picter lingered. Horrified, Adanar watched the broken components slowly reknit as las-fire raged around the creature’s prone form. Wires snaked across theground finding other wires and, like sewn flesh, drew the shattered pieces together. Metal became as mercury, dissolving into liquid before being drawn to the torso as if magnetised. Impossibly, the skeleton rose intact and fired its terrible beam weaponry again."
- Fall of Damnos, Pg. 27

Necron planetary gauss weapon destroys an orbiting Imperial capital ship with a single shot.

Spoiler
"When the launch tubes failed to vent, Caenen frowned. He wiped at his heavy breath where it had fogged the viewport, but he hadn’t missed it. The tubes were still full. He was about to start shouting and bawling again, ready to apply his boot to the fegger who’d screwed him, when a dense, ultra-concentrated beam speared from the surface.
‘What the shi–'

We are invulnerable.
The thought was a comfortable one and Captain Unser was enjoying this feeling of pre-eminence when the weapons failure rune on his command-slate spoiled it.
‘Mister Ikaran, report!’
The flag-lieutenant had his hand to his ear again, getting information from thecomms-officer. ‘A jam, lord. We’ll have to repack and acquire new firing–’
The massive energy spike raging across all of the pict-screens on the bridgearrested Ikaran’s recommendations.
‘Lord, our shields will be–’
‘Impossible,’ breathed Unser, sitting up so he might defy his imminent death more staunchly. ‘They don’t have… Up here… we’re invinc–’
A bright flare of emerald light filled the bridge, blinding the crew and scorching their flesh despite the plascrete shielding on the viewports. The
Nobilis’s shields capitulated in seconds, one after the other, and the once mighty vessel’s armour was sheared away like parchment by the necron beam. It impaled the bridge and lancedthe heart of the ship. Plasma drives erupted in conflagration, sending roiling firestorms across all decks. Munitions and artillery cooked off in the blast, killing thousands. The main breach caused by the beam’s hungry trajectory resulted in several more sub-breaches – crewmen, equipment, entire bulkheads and sub-decks were vented into the void, flash-frozen.
In the gun-decks, Overseer Caenen didn’t even have enough time to curse before the torpedo wall was ripped away and the entire gunnery crew, all two thousand, three hundred and fifty souls, burned to death before being expelled into the cold night of space."
- Fall of Damnos, Pg. 32-33

Necron artillery.

Spoiler
"In the aftermath, Tigurius eyed the distant Thanatos foothills. The forbidding arc of necron pylons and the long noses of gauss siege cannon blighted the horizon line. Sustained particle whips and focussed energy beams bombarded the city of Kellenport relentlessly." - Fall of Damnos, Pg. 41

Teleportation

Spoiler
"The necrons had some kind of device, a phasic-generator the tech-priests had postulated. It had allowed the bulk of their awakened troops to teleport directly behind the Ark Guard’s defensive positions. Fortified walls, bunkers, fields of razor-wire – they were no impediment to the mechanised advance of the necrontyr." - Fall of Damnos, Pg. 42

Communication jamming and unnatural darkness.

Spoiler
"Rotational guns – las and autocannon, heavy stubber and bolter – slaved to a rail network, spat muzzle flashes into an alien darkness. Not only had the necrontyr brought a comms shroud to blanket the regions before them, they had summoned an unnatural shadow too." - Fall of Damnos, Pg. 43

Necrons can convert materials to make more warrior constructs.

Spoiler
"The enemy had annihilated the armour columns with perfunctory ease and then used their swarm creatures to gut the machine innards of the Imperial tanks and convert them into more necron warrior constructs." - Fall of Damnos, Pg. 44

Necron teleportation and its mental effects on enemies forces.

Spoiler
"Several war cells translated through the Kellenport walls and fell upon the vanguard Adanar had positioned in front of the Courtyard of Thor. A strange sensation emanated from the newly-arrived enemy, something brought on by the effects of the generator’s recent activation. The world spun vertiginously and Adanar was forced to cling to the battlement for support. He heard screams, echoing through the fog of sudden dislocation, and assumed several of the Ark Guard stationed on the wall had fallen.
‘Sergeant,’ he began, spitting out the word through gritted teeth. Sergeant Nabor was on his knees, blubbering like an infant with his hands over his ears.
It had affected the entire garrison.
Adanar tried to move, thinking he was stepping back when in fact he went forwards. He reached for his laspistol, hoping the sudden discharge might return his senses, but grabbed for the empty air on the left side of his belt, instead of the holster on his right.
‘Throne of Earth,’ he garbled, as an errant trickle of blood wept from his nostril and touched his lip. The copper tang was intense, almost acidic.
Below, through his tunnelling, kaleidoscopic vision, the vanguard was being slaughtered.
A voice, inhuman and metallic, resolved on the breeze.
'Heed my words for I am the Herald and we are the footsteps of doom. Interlopers, do we name you. Defilers of our sacred earth. We have awoken to your primitive species and will not tolerate your presence. Ours is the way of logic, of cold hard reason; your irrationality, your human disease has no place in the necrontyr. Flesh is weak. Surrender to the machine incarnate. Surrender and die.'
Adanar found his laspistol – it was as if it’d been placed in his trembling grasp – and pressed it to his forehead. ‘Surrender to the machine incarnate,’ he echoed macabrely. ‘Surrender and die.’
- Fall of Damnos, Pg. 46-47

Destroyed critical systems = no self-repair.

Spoiler
"‘Advance and execute,’ he continued.
The Immortals moved on their sergeant’s lead, charging up to the stricken necrons. Three battle-brothers hung back as the others went ahead of the enemy casualties.
The loud crack-bang of single headshots and the sonorous report of a phasal shift filled the air.
Iulus had read the Tactica briefings extensively. Nothing barring critical system damage would prevent a necron’s ability to self-repair. He was taking no chances."
- The Fall of Damnos, Pg. 57

Necron Lord manipulates time.

Spoiler
"A flash of translocation lit the grand tomb chamber. When it abated, the Architect was in a different room. Using his chronomancy, he had descended several levels in a nanosecond." - Fall of Damnos, Pg. 76

More later.
Last edited by Locutus on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Locutus
Check My Brain

Postby Matapiojo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:29 am

Phenomenal. Will add those to the propper categories when I get a bit of time today.

This is a particularly important one!

Spoiler
"The enemy had annihilated the armour columns with perfunctory ease and then used their swarm creatures to gut the machine innards of the Imperial tanks and convert them into more necron warrior constructs." - Fall of Damnos, Pg. 44
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Locutus » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:47 am

Matapiojo wrote:Phenomenal. Will add those to the propper categories when I get a bit of time today.

This is a particularly important one!

Spoiler

Indeed! A very interesting piece of info. I knew you you would like it. :D
Locutus
Check My Brain

PreviousNext

Return to FactPile Respect