FactPile "Light" version
FactPile YouTube Channel | FactPile PodCast

To Keep Going?

This is where you will debate until the main site comes back online.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

To Keep Going?

Postby Friendlysociopath » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:04 am

Frankly, I think everyone here hops on Spacebattles more than Factpiletopia itself. I've seen several of you by name and a few others under different names and they do seem to have a ruleset very similar to our own. Given that there's so many more people there and we have basically no way to grow- it honestly seems like I might as well go there to debate.
The topia existed before there was a debate section and it would exist even if we stopped- so are we stopping? If nothing else I certainly think I might for here- ultimately there's too few of us and we don't have enough shared verses to keep using.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Re: To Keep Going?

Postby Alpha or Omega » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:41 am

Well, it's been an honor.

I go by the same name on Sufficient Velocity, and I go by the name Qute on Comicvine.

Spacebattles and Comicvine seem slightly different in rules, but yes, they're similar.
A lesson is learnt from victory, a thousand from defeat.
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby Kitten Lord » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:37 am

But what happened to the American dream?

Maybe ill dip my toes in. There may be some people who want to head butt a brick wall for a few weeks and have not got tired of kain debating yet! ;)
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby Xornell » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:08 am

Woah, hey guys. Welcome to EB Games

I missed you guys
Xornell
Plebe

Postby wingedlion » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:37 pm

This is really the only site i go to for vs debating so I'm probably gonna just keep going here.
wingedlion
Luminous Flesh Giant

Postby Friendlysociopath » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:45 pm

wingedlion wrote:This is really the only site i go to for vs debating so I'm probably gonna just keep going here.

You're free to do so of course, I won't speak for Guardian after all, I'm just using this as basically my chance to explain why I won't be posted matches anymore and probably won't be debating much around here. I'll still pop in occasionally to see if anything needs fixed like post approval plus my works in the Fanfiction section aren't something I will discard.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby guardianangel1911 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:46 am

If people here want I can keep posting/trying to post matches possibly under a modified schedule depends what people want I guess.
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby Alpha or Omega » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:21 pm

I wouldn't mind a match once a week. This place is really slow.
A lesson is learnt from victory, a thousand from defeat.
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby Polloloko » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:01 am

Alpha or Omega wrote:I wouldn't mind a match once a week. This place is really slow.

I can agree with that.

I like this place due logical arguments and from mistakes we all learn.
Polloloko
Labled Incurable

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:48 pm

FactPile was the first site I went to do fictional debates. Sure, I had my moments on other sites, but those sites weren't suited for this kind of thing. They'd seldom happen. I enjoyed debating with people on FactPile, but as time went on, my views on how to collect data ended up becoming reductionist. I don't use pixel scaling anymore, and in-universe measurements appear to be empty. Allow me to demonstrate. In this video, at the time in-universe where it's 4:20, Link has travels 772.1 m. For the duration of 5 minutes in-universe (5 seconds in real-time), Link has reached 824.4 m. Subtracting this gives you 52.3 m. 5 minutes is 300 seconds, and using r = d/t, you can determine that Link traveled 0.174 m. (174 cm.) per second. That's slower than what's observed.

While video games can provide measurements, it doesn't appear in-universe offers any useful measurement. The same could be said of any media, and people tend to disagree on these aspects. Since these things lack any real-world use or meaning, it has, for me, become pointless. I find it to be a waste of time. It can be fun, but so can conversing about frame data, game mechanics, and developing strategies to improve my skill at a video game like Super Smash Bros. It's also equally fun talking about math, science, philosophy, and religion. These have real-world consequences. This is why I haven't been around. I have a Discord, Twitch, and Twitter account. For Discord, you can find me at Crystanium#2364. Twitch and Twitter are also "Crystanium". The name comes from here.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Return to Factpile Debates